Sunday, January 29, 2012

One of my all-time favorite quickie dinner recipes --Honey Prawns.


It's Sunday and I wasn't feeling very well and was not looking forward to making dinner. I then realized Jason had stopped by the Asian grocery store last Friday on his way home from work. Luckily for me the store is only a block away from his office building so whenever I need supplies he's my cooking lifeline. Last Friday he brought home 2 lbs of lovely prawns to replenish our freezer, what a sweetheart! Anyways, I decided I had enough energy to make Chinese Honey Prawns with Candied Walnuts. The recipe takes a whole 20 minutes and has very few ingredients. I served it with a side of white jasmine rice laced with a tad of butter and light soy sauce.  Sooooooooo easy. 


Ingredients
Batter:
1lb prawns - medium sized, peeled and de-veined. I like to butterfly mine but it's not necessary.
1 egg white
1/2 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
Dash of black pepper & salt


Honey Mayo Sauce:
 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice



Other:
1/2 to 2/3 cup Brown Sugar Candied Walnuts (see recipe)
Vegetable, Canola Oil for frying


Directions:
  1. Peel and de-vein the prawns and dry on paper towels, add the egg white and cornstarch/tapioca starch and mix well.  
  2. Heat the oil on high temperature for frying. Add the prawns 1 at a time to avoid clumping. Don't rush and over crowd the prawns in the pan. Use chopsticks or large slotted metal spoon to turn the prawns and keep them separated while frying. Once they're golden brown, drain in metal colander lined with paper towels. 
  3. In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, honey, condensed milk and lemon juice.
  4. Add the prawns to the honey mayo sauce and mix to coat each prawn.
  5. Transfer to a serving plate or platter and liberally sprinkle the candied walnuts. This dish is best served hot!  For sides I suggest rice and perhaps a crisp iceberg salad with a light Asian dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment