Sunday, July 1, 2012

Manhandling my 'Gentle Giant' Hostas


7 Years ago I bought 2-1 gallon 'Gentle Giant' hostas for about $5 each. I planted them flanking each other by our shed thinking it would make a nice entry way from the side garden gate into the rest of the backyard. It's large leaved bluish gray green foliage adds great color and texture to the garden and are quite striking.





My little $5 investments have grown to what I can only pray to be full sized 3' 6" tall by 5' wide--aptly named giants! I could easily get 12 nice sized plants out of each of these clumps--free plants I likie! Hostas are one of the few "plant and ignore" types of horticultural gems that are rare--no insect or slug problems nor have I ever fertilized them. 

For the past 2 years during both Spring and Fall I have attempted to divide these beautiful bullies to no avail! I manhandled these boys with every gardening implement I have in my arsenal. I've broken my favorite short handled shovel, tried to wash the dirt away from the naughty deep roots, used every trick I've found online for dividing hostas. Nothing. Didn't budge. These bad boys have won every battle and are much more stubborn then the 4' wide black bamboo roots we dug up years ago. If any of you have ever divided these fully matured monsters successfully PLEASE share your method. Pleaasssssse!

No comments:

Post a Comment