Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blame it on Ramsey. English Sticky Chocolate Toffee Pudding



Blame it on Ramsey. You see I love watching Master Chef. Towards the end of one of the seasons they teased us with Gordan Ramsey's Sticky Toffee Pudding--which upon hearing the name of the dessert I was intrigued, but what got me, what really got me was when the other judges tasted Gordon's recipe and could see the absolute pleasure with every flavorful bite. I immediately became enamored. I had to try to find this recipe. 

I went online and searched and searched and although I didn't find the exact recipe I discovered alot of other English pudding recipes and I think I'm close to what I can only imagine what Gordon's would tastes like if it were gluten free. Yes you can substitute my gf flour with a regular all purpose flour, but for all intent and purposes, this gf version is scrumptious and right on time for this holiday season. I've always been a sucker for anything gooey and like a bread pudding. By the way, for those of you who don't know me well yet, I'm already a bit obsessed and have made a Autumn Spiced Apple version as well as a Pumpkin version of this. Mighty Moe is very pleased he has a yummy gluten free dessert when the craving kicks in. Stay tuned folks I've got some of your holiday desserts covered. 

Adapted from a few sources: 1, 2 and this one.
Ingredients:

Pudding

1 cup of Medjool dates, pitted (I found mine at Trader Joe's, you can use other brands too)
dash of sea salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon espresso
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour mix (see note)
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans

Toffee sauce:
1 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
2 cup heavy cream

Note: This is my go to Gluten-free AP flour recipe from King Arthur Flour's website. It uses brown rice flour instead of the typical mix of white and brown rice flour for a less gritty texture. They use stabilized  I haven't been able to find it yet, my brown rice flour seems to work just fine. I've found this works great for me. I mix a batch up and store it in a container for ease of use and add xanthum or guar guar when necessary.

6 cups brown rice flour (they use stabilized  I haven't been able to find it yet, my brown rice flour seems to work just fine.)
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch 


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring the water, brown sugar, espresso and dates to a simmer in a small pot for about 10 minutes. 



In a food processor, pulse butter and eggs until blended.  Pour simmered contents into your food processor and pulse.

Add the gf flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa and blend until well mixed.

Add chopped nuts and mix. 


Lightly butter or grease your muffin tin (either a 12 count or large 6 count). Using a medium sized ladle, spoon batter into each cup until almost to the top lip of each. I used a 12 cup tin and it used up all the batter perfectly. Place into preheated oven on middle rack. From what I've read it seems water bath/steaming is the preferred method when baking these. I simply filled up a cake pan with water and placed on the bottom rack and it worked! :) Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool in tins for at least 15 minutes (Why? When baking with gluten free flours the goodies need time to set up during the cooling process--so I read somewhere) before serving with toffee sauce.

To make the Toffee Sauce

1 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
2 cup heavy cream

In a small pot combine the butter, brown sugar and heavy cream and bring to a nice boil and stir. 

The sauce will continue to thicken the longer it goes. I like really thick caramelly sauces so I tend to wait for big bubbles to start forming and popping--usually takes about 14 minutes. When the sauce is to the thickness you prefer, take off of heat.

Time to serve dessert! Place a nice spoonful of toffee sauce on each serving plate and plop one of those moist puddings on each toffee puddle. Drizzle more sauce on top and serve with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment