Saturday, March 31, 2012

Trader Joe's Vegetable Medley Clone

Photo of my clone recipe

It's not very often that I try to clone a recipe. In fact I've only cloned 6 now: This one, Cinnabon rolls, Trader Joe's Rosemary Raisin crackers and Starbucks Bliss Bars, Hollyhocks Bakery German Chocolate Cake, Beppo's Chicken Cacciatore. This should tell you how much I truly enjoy those particular dishes! Some have taken years to refine and others, like this one, a day.

I'm lucky to have a Trader Joe's store just a few blocks from my house. They have some of the best food products and one of them, which I love, is their Country Potatoes. For under $4 it's a great flavorful side dish. Problem was, I wanted a lot more then what the frozen package contains and I don't see paying for 2 of these packages for dinner. After some tasting and reading I created this clone recipe and I'm told it's better then theirs by some very critical eaters! Yukon potatoes adds a buttery taste without the use of any butter. Joyous me! It costs half of the price and gives me loads more for my money. This freezes beautifully uncooked, just make a double batch and place half in freezer bag.





Ingredients:


3 Large Red Potatoes, sliced
3 Large Yellow Yukon Potatoes, sliced
2 cup Green Beans
1 1/2 cup Mushrooms (I like using a mix of sliced Crimini and Chanterelle mushrooms)
2 tablespoons Chicken & Tomato Bouillon (Knorr's Caldo de Tomate)
1 tablespoon dried onions, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 tablespoon Parsley
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon olive oil


Directions:

In large mixing bowl place all seasonings and mix well. Add sliced potatoes and stir, making sure each slice is well coated. See figure 1. 



  1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large non-stick skillet on medium high. Add the potato mixture and sear, approx. 5 minutes. 
  2. Once the bottoms brown flip to uncooked side. Since there are many slices you'll have to repeat to ensure most of the slices are browned. 
  3. Add the green beans and mushrooms and stir. Cover with lid for about 10 minutes. Uncover and check to see if the potatoes and green beans are cooked enough for your preference. If not replace the lid and continue to cook. Once cooked, serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment