Monday, September 9, 2013

Blissfullicious Battered Fish--and it's Gluten Free--Hooray!


I feel as though I've won a small battle with this recipe. I'm not a big fried food eater but let me tell ya, a world without being able to eat battered halibut or cod is just. . . .there are no words. As I've posted in the past, my sister and I used to travel almost 2 hours away for fish and chips because they were that good, so when I developed a copy cat recipe saving us time and gas I felt like a champ! 

When Mighty Moe concluded after 3 weeks of going GF that his body felt years younger, visions of fried fish and fluffy bread flashed fleetingly before my eyes. QUICK I had to do some reworking and researching! I took my beer battered gluten recipe and used rice flour instead of all-purpose, club soda instead of beer and presto! It's not as light as the batter I hearted before but these were good, like really good--crispy, flavorful and yes it does rival any gluten ones at the restaurants. I see no reason why this recipe can't be used for onion rings or fried zucchinni. . .add some cayenne and chili sauce and friends we have a batter for spicy chicken wings!!


Ingredients:
6 to 8 pieces of Halibut (pieces should be at least 2 1/2" wide x 3" long x 1/2" strips)
1 cup of club soda or GF beer (Yes you can use GF beer)
1 1/3 cup of rice flour for batter

1/4 cup of rice flour for dredging 
1 teaspoon gf baking powder1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh dill 
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 egg
1 lemon cut into wedges
Horseradish Tarter Sauce
Oil for frying (vegetable)

Directions:

Wash and pat dry the fish (if using frozen fish, defrost and gently squeeze out excess water). Cut into strips. 


In a medium sized mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and whisk in the club soda and egg. The batter should be as thick as waffle batter, add more rice flour as needed. 

Heat oil in frying pot or fryer to 375 degrees, please do use a thermometer to check temperature--otherwise you'll have a soggy or burnt mess. Tip: To prevent fish from sticking to the bottom, layer them over your fries, onion rings etc. If making fresh fries, start them now as to cook them halfway before adding the fish. If using frozen fries add them right before the fish. 

On a separate plate add 1/4 cup rice flour, dredge a piece of fish coating both sides. Dip completely into the wet batter and add to prepared hot oil ontop of the fries, onion rings etc. 



Fry each piece until golden brown and drain the excess oil by placing in metal drain basket or with paper towels. Tip: For a crispier texture use a basket.


Serve with salad or fries and your favorite tarter sauce and lemon wedge. Or serve on gluten free buns with lettuce and tomato - easy fish filet sandwich. I'll post the GF bun in the next few days. 

If you would like to make your own horseradish tarter sauce, here's my recipe (scroll down to bottom of the linked page).


If you do decide to try this recipe, I encourage you to subscribe and share your experience and tips, together we can eat just as blissfulliciously as others!

No comments:

Post a Comment