Monday, September 9, 2013

Does the GF conversion chart work?


I stumbled upon this handy conversion chart a few months ago and decided to give it a little test. I made 2 batches of my banana zucchini bread (since my garden is spewing out zucchini like mad), 1 batch with my old tried and true recipe and the other batch using the gluten free conversion chart. I taste tested each and have to say for this type of bread, it works fairly well. The texture and flavor are good and I was hard pressed in a blind tasting to tell the difference. The only glaring difference in my opinion was the rise of the loaves making the GF version alittle bit denser. However, I think I took the GF batch out a little too early. Either way this is a recipe keeper and I'll be using it as my go to recipe during the fall baking season. Hopefully I'll be sharing a delicious pumpkin loaf recipe soon. For now enjoy!

The chart I'm referring to (thanks to http://www.gygi.com/):



Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt or mayo (blame my mom for the mayo)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup grated zucchini
3 ripe bananas mashed
2 1/3 cup white rice flour
2/3 cup and 2 tablespoons potato starch
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 3/4 teaspoon of guar guar or xantham gum
(Note for those not gluten sensitive: Original recipe uses 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line loaf pans with wax paper, grease and flour. If you aren't worried about a possibility of cross contamination, omit the wax paper.




My targets for this mission.


In a large bowl add the bananas and zucchini, eggs, oil, brown sugar, white sugar, vanillia extract, yogurt, oil, cinnamon, baking powder and using electric mixer, beat until well blended. 



Beat in the flours and fold in the walnuts.







Divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans. The one on the left below is the GF version. 



Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean. Allow to cool and slather with butter. 




As you can see the GF version didn't crack nearly as much as the original version. I have to say the GF loaves I made were in a silicone pan which allowed for width expansion while the original was baked in a metal pan. It did indeed make a difference in the rise, but how much I'm not sure. I'll know next time I bake this recipe. I'm also noting that GF baked breads take about 5 to 10 minutes longer to bake. Readers, if you perform your own swop tests please share with me your outcomes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment