Friday, July 6, 2012

Mystery Pastry. .

I hope all of you in the USA enjoyed the 4th of July as much as we did. The weather here in Seattle has taken a pleasant turn and finally graced us with Summer! I think our sunny 4th of July was only the 5th one in this area since I've lived here (37 years). Today it's been rumored that it'll hit 80 and I'm preparing to spend it in my garden doing some chores and soaking up sun. 


Before I headed outside I wanted to quickly post a public plea for information. 


On one of our family eating & shopping expeditions many years ago to Canada BC we stumbled upon these very unique & savory pastries. These Chinese Cookies are chewy and I believe contain candied Winter-melon, sesame seeds and tiny bits of Chinese sausage. . . what the what?!. . .I know it sounds strange! . . . perhaps even a bit gross but these are addictively (sic) good--10 cookies in one sitting good. 




photo from the blog: Chasing James Beard

Various members from my family periodically travel to Canada for a nice day trip and are always sure to pick up at least 10 pounds of these to bring home and pass out to other family members. They're sold for about $5 per pound. I desparately want to try my hand at baking some of these but don't know the cookies' offical name--makes scouring the internet for recipes very very frustrating. Somehow after all these years no one, not one single one of us who have traveled to buy these (15 of us) can remember what they're called. Before you think we're thick, keep in mind we're not Chinese, thus it's a bit difficult to read and remember the name if we had even bothered to look. In addition to the lack of Chinese reading skills, the cookies are not prepackaged and are unceremoniously tossed into a clear plastic bakery bag with a twist tie and marked with it's weight.

In one of my many internet searches of these, I stumbled upon a blog named Chasing James Beard and the blogger had posted this photo but no name! I immediately dropped her a message in which she responded back very quickly. She promised she would find out the name next time she was in the store that sells these. It's been over a month and I'm sure the sweet gal has lots going on. I figured I'd post these to see if any of you can identify these for me. If you know what these are called or have the elusive recipe pleasssssssssssssssse contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment