Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tex-Mex corn on the cob. Yummers!

Since I no longer watch The Today Show because of the Ann Curry  debacle (yes my friends I'm still livid)I occasionally check their FB page. I saw the post regarding Buying American-Made Challenge which saddened me. I'm creating a resource page for consumers to buy American-made products. If you have a product that is made in the USA, please send me your website url and I'll gladly add it as a resource. 


I'm catching up on some blogging this morning. This mornings topics include corn and roses. 


Each summer we look forward to stocking up our fridge with fresh corn from the supermarkets--so long canned and frozen corn friends. The sweet bounty is usually on sale for ridiculousness low prices in early summer. Who can resist buying some of these beauties? You know I love a good Tex-Mex recipe and of course I have one for corn. If you've never had Mexican/Tex-Mex street corn please give this easy recipe a try. Brushed on grilled or boiled corn the zesty marinade takes minutes to make and oh sooooo worth the tiny effort! 




My favorite vegetable growing up was corn. My sister and I would never turn down more corn no matter how full we already were from supper. We'd painstakingly remove the outer cobb in order to suckle on the sweet core. Strange? Not really. We really loved corn and took our time nibbling on their golden goodness. 


My son inherited the corn worshiping gene much to my bemusement. He was so enamored with corn when he was little that he became a beggar of corn. Before we bought the house we lived in apartments. As we all know, apartment living isn't conducive to gardening. Luckily there are a few community pea patches in our area and I was fortunate enough to secure a nice little 30'x10' patch of earth for my gardening addiction. We grew all the usual suspects: zucchini, brussel sprouts, acorn squash, peas etc. . .however I didn't grow corn. Pea patches are normally large parcels of land sectioned off for individual gardens, you get on a list to secure a spot, pay the rental fee (I think it was $30) and get a pre-designated patch for Spring through early Fall. My patch was located towards the middle of the parcel and I was flanked on all sides with fellow pea patchers. Since corn grows tall I couldn't commit a community garden faux pas by growing something tall as to block out the precious sun on my fellow gardeners patches, thus leaving us corn-less in Seattle. 


My son was about 5 the first year we patched and distraught over my corn decision. As the growing season progressed he went on corn patrol. Walking up and down the pea patches trying to spot who was growing corn. Always one to be a little too outgowing with strangers he had no qualms trying to sweet talk his way into someone elses corn bounty. As harvesting season started he'd literally beg for corn from the gardeners on the outer patches. He had minimal success and ended up with a variety of other consolation vegetables--zucchini and peas! Apparently corn growers aren't fond of giving away even 1 precious cobb! I certainly don't blame them Lol! 


Oh and yes I'm growing corn this year in my home garden. ♥


Ingredients (enough for 4 whole corn cobbs or 8 cobblets):
1/2 - 2/3 stick of butter
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika 
1 teaspoon of dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic, powdered
2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, (kosher, sea salt or table salt)
1 lime, cut into wedges


Directions
Cook the corn either by grilling or boiling. Melt the butter in microwave, add all the seasonings, mix. Squeeze 1 lime wedge into marinade. Transfer cooked cobbs onto serving platter. Brush marinade over corn cobbs. Serve with lime wedges.  Great side dish to serve with Canitas or the tamale recipe I posted yesterday.


We love grilling our corn. Peel down the husks without tearing them off the cob. Remove the silk fibers and close the cob back up with the husks. Tear off a strand of the husk and tie a knot around the top of the cob using the husk strand. not the husk Simply soak the corn in tap water for 15 minutes. Place on medium heated grill with the lid closed. Turn each corn cob every 10 minutes until fully cooked. Remove husk and brush on marinade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment