Saturday, June 30, 2012

Beautiful structural globes of color. . .ALLIUMS! ;)

Each year I look forward to discovering how many little children my Alliums hatched up from the year before. I started with 3 bulbs 7 years ago and am now the proud grandmother of 25! 



These fun purple globes make me smile each time I pass by them, they provide structure and pops of color whereever they're planted. They stand 2'-3' tall, blooms last about a month and are strong, happy and usually covered with bees. All types of bees buzz over to these and hang out for hours before heading out to populate other parts of my garden. With the bee population declining over the years this is a definite plus for any gardener.




Alliums have really hit their stride in the USA and new cultivars are being greedily snapped up each season. This variety is Allium Giganteum 'Globemaster' and is probably the most well known. Who can resist inviting these head sized magenta violet fluff balls into their gardens? Not many. 


While we were at the Bellevue Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago I spotted this wonderfully deep maroon Allium in on of their beautiful boarders and snapped a quick photo. Although not fully in bloom I could tell it would be a complete knockout once matured. Hopefully I can get back their to see these beauties in their full glory. 



As soon as we got home I searched online for this variety and discovered it's called Allium Atropurpureum 'Hemispheres'. It reaches 2' to 3' tall and it's maroon blooms fade to a purplish black color. How cool! This is going on my wish list for sure. 


I have some white ones and smaller magenta Alliums but neglected to take photos in time. Oh well next year. 


Tomorrow will be all about roses. I've collected over 90 of them over the past 10 years. A mix of English, Hybrid Teas and Floribundas. Signing off for now, time to enjoy the rest of this peaceful Saturday.   


Here's a link to purchase Alliums online:
http://www.burpee.com/flowers/flowering-bulbs/fall-planted-bulbs/alliums/?cid=PPC

No comments:

Post a Comment