Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Am I a Trekie?





I confess, I've become a tad obsessed with the Trader Joe's Rosemary Raisin Crisps that are even better then the Rainforest brand crackers. It all started this past Christmas at Jason's mom's house. She had a platter of cheeses and crackers and as soon as I took a bite of the Rosemary Crisps I was fascinated with these crispy, chewy, nutty sweetness and have been devouring these ever since. My obsession turned into a need to make my own. I've been researching recipes and was rather surprised at how many are out there on the web already. Many of the same recipes copied from one site to another, but I have come up with a few REALLY good versions of my own. I love being able to customize this recipe to my own tastes and moods and knowing exactly what's in them. I urge all of you to do the same. I'm sooooooo snack happy now! I realize it's Valentine's Day and I should probably post a delicious chocolate dessert, but I don't think I have the time. I'm mixing up another version of these crisps later today that is truer to the Trader Joe's version with flax seed and all wheat flour and will post the recipe. 


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk (I make my own by adding 1/3 cup vinegar to 1 2/3 cup of whole milk.)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Trek Mix, chopped in food processor
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary



Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350° F.

Add flour, baking soda and salt to large mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, packed brown sugar, honey, raisins, rosemary, sesame and sunflower seeds and stir. 

In processor, chop the Trek mix and chop until the pieces are no larger then a raisin. Add to bowl and blend. 

Pour the batter into 
two prepared 8”x4” loaf pans with nonstick spray or oil. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.

Wrap the loaves up in plastic wrap or in a zip lock and place in the freezer for 3 hours. I like to leave one in the freezer for future use. Slice the loaves thinly. The thinner the crispier. See figure 2. 





Place the slices in a single layer on an un-greased baking sheet. Reduce the oven heat to 300° F and bake them for approximately 15 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 15 minutes, check on these every 5 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Let cool for an hour and serve with your favorite soft cheese, I like brie. Store thoroughly cooled crisps in an airtight container (if you don't let them air dry for at least 24 hours before storing, they will be very chewy). I'm not sure how long they lasts since I tend to eat them up quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment