Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The kind of wrap I like.



When I was in the 5th grade I had a friend who was Lebanese and we walked to and from school together everyday. At least once a week she would be eating her breakfast; a steaming hot pattie of meat; it smelt good and didn't look like anything I'd ever eaten. Finally after a few weeks of eating my Cheerios I asked her for a sample . . . good gravy it was sooooo good and spicy! Many years later I searched and scoured cookbooks for this patty. ..I couldn't remember the name to my dismay, but with the internet I finally hit the jackpot in a sense. I tried Kofta recipe after Kofta recipe, most used lamb or beef and were okay but none of them quite had the "kick" I so fondly reminisced. After trial and error I came up with this recipe, the key was the spice mix and measurements. I recall hers were always lightly breaded, this recipe doesn't use a bread coating, but still very good. My favorite way of eating these is in a simple wheat flat-bread wrap, loaded with alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce and a dual combination of cucumber yogurt, ketchup chili sauce. These would also be great appetizers if rolled into balls and served with the cucumber yogurt.


I make tons of these (5lbs or 14 patties) and freeze them. For this recipe I've cut it down to 1/2. Note, if there is a particular spice you love more then others, simply add more. Cook to your own taste buds and enjoy. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 slice whole-wheat bread, torn to small pieces
  • 1 medium onion, grated or 2 tablespoons dried onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon fresh mint or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 2 pounds ground beef chuck
  • 1 pound ground pork (you can substitute the beef and pork with lamb, ground turkey or ground chicken) 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

Add all ingredients to large mixing bowl or food processor and blend well. Kneed into oval patties about 1/2 inch thick.  
You can cook these on the grill on medium high, flipping at 5 minute intervals until done or you can cook these on the stove at medium high in a non stick pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, flipping at 6 minutes until well done. Serve with warm flat bread, alfalfa sprouts, tomato and lettuce. Probably would be great with avocado as well. Drizzle with Cucumber Yogurt sauce (see recipe) and Ketchup Red Chili sauce (I'll post that recipe soon). 

No comments:

Post a Comment