Monday, February 13, 2012

Roasting Garlic

I usually roast a head of garlic whenever I'm roasting chicken or beef and use it as a spread on warm buttery bread, crackers or store it in a small jar with some olive oil for later use in recipes. I used to have a clay garlic roaster which worked fine but during one of my cleaning moods I threw it away. I have a small kitchen, which means every cooking instrument no matter how small counts as valuable space. . .alas the charred terracotta pot had to go away. Now I simply use tin foil which works just as well and the clean up is a snap. 


Ingredients: 
1 large head of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil (I like extra virgin)
Pinch of Kosher or Sea Salt
Pinch of fresh cracked pepper

Directions:
Peel off most of the outer skins of the garlic head, leaving only one layer of "skin." Cut the top end of the garlic head off to expose each garlic clove. Place garlic ontop of tin foil square. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil over the top, sprinkle with salt and pepper. See figure 1. Wrap the garlic up with the tin foil. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 40 - 50 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment