Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Yeastie Boys.



I admit over the years I have failed at bread making, too dense, too dry, too anything but good. This past year I read a article about yeast and keeping the yeast in the refrigerator, ever since I started doing this my breads haven't failed. Thankfully it wasn't me after all but my yeast. I only buy french breads and rolls if I need them at the last minute, otherwise I just make my own. Now that my Yeastie Boys are doing their thing, I've been having fun trying out different bread recipes by adding herbs, spices and cheeses. . .there's just something about hot oozing cheese that is satisfying. Here is my recipe for Jalapeno Onion Cheese pull-aparts. Please note: I place my cheese in-between the dough balls but you can incorporate the cheese into the dough if that is your preference. 

Ingredients:


3 cup flour (all purpose or bread flour)
1 cup warm water, 110 degrees
1 1/2 teaspoon fast active yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, separated (the yolk for the dough and the whites for brushing)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sliced jalapeno (I like the heat so I keep the seeds, but you can de-seed if you prefer)
1 tablespoon dried onions
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
10 slices cheddar cheese, sliced approximately into 1/4 inch thick and in 3/4 inch by 1 inch slivers.


Directions:


In large mixing bowl combine warm water with yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Swish it around and let "proof" for about 15 minutes or until you see a bubbly type of foam forming. This just means your yeast is active. Add the yolk, onions, cumin, pepper, jalapeno and mix well. If you want to add the cheese directly into the dough, now would be the time to do so. Just cut the cheese slivers into dice sized chunks for "oozy cheese" or shred for a more traditional cheese roll. 


Add 2 cups of the flour and mix, then add the remaining flour and knead for about 8 minutes. 


Using your hands divide the dough into 12 even sized balls. Place on top of a oiled baking tray. Add the cheese slices between each ball, see figure 1. 






Cover the dough and keep in a warm place for about 2 - 3 hours. When dough has risen it's time to bake. Brush the rolls with egg white and place into preheated oven.


Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes. Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment