Friday, October 25, 2013

As promised BBQ Chicken Pizza (gf pan crust)


I thought I'd take this opportunity to try something with the thin crust recipe I posted the other day. Knowing that cheese is what made the crust so chewy and hold up, I wondered what a different cheese would do to the crust. Instead of the Mozzarella I used Monterrey which is a natural pairing for bbq chicken. I also wondered what alittle bit of baking soda would do. Cooking is about experimenting right? I made the crust using the basic chewy recipe, made my addition and substitution.  After I pre-baked the crust, I could tell the crust did rise about 30% higher then the other recipe. Hmmm interesting, how would it taste? The Monterrey did help hold the crust together, thus no crumbly/flaky crust but it wasn't as chewy as the Mozzarella crust. It's also fluffier for sure, yet so fold-able. For a gluten free pan crust it's not bad at all, but Moe and I prefer the chewier crust; whereas our son prefers this pan version. Now we know the cheese does make a notable difference in the elasticity of the dough and the baking soda did help with the fluffy factor. Let me know which one you all like. 

Ingredients Crust (this is for a large pizza 20"):
2 cups brown rice flour, plus 1/2 to 1 cup more for dusting & rolling
1 cup of potato starch
1 cup of tapioca starch
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
3 teaspoons xantham gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Knox unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 egg, at room temperature
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cup Monterrey cheese, shredded
olive oil for pan
corn meal for pan

Toppings:
1/4 large red onion, sliced
1 green scallion
1/2 cup your favorite bbq sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's original)
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded chicken, boneless and skinless (I used Rotisserie)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 cup Monterrey cheese, shredded
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
drizzle of olive oil


Directions:

Prepare crust and pizza pan as directed here and pre-bake in oven at 350 degrees on middle rack for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.


See how high this rose? It turned my thin crust into a pan. Is it the different cheese or baking soda? 

Prepare your toppings.



Drizzle some about 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto the crust. Spread on the bbq sauce, sprinkle with garlic and red onion slices.


Add the chicken, Mozzarella, Monterrey cheeses and scallions. Sprinkle on the paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.


Turn up the oven to 375 degrees, place the pizza back onto the middle rack and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes before slicing. I ate 3 slices my friends. First plain-- classic BBQ chicken, then with some sriracha sauce-added a wonderful smoky spice. 


Then with Kapowie dressing (I had to try)--the cilantro and lime really complimented it. I have no idea which version I liked most. They all have their own special attributes.



No comments:

Post a Comment