Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Let's talk pasta. Specifically brown rice versus corn.


One of the items most people reminisce about is the pasta they'll miss out on when starting their gluten-free journey. At first I admit I panicked. I'm a pasta gal! I took every opportunity to go to different stores and made mental notes at their offerings. It wasn't much. But alas Trader Joe's had me covered. I know I mention them often but there's a reason, they have the goods my friends. I found these beautiful corn and brown rice based spaghetti noodles, penne and fusilli pastas all neatly arranged in the normal pasta aisle. They didn't have them tucked discreetly away on a tiny dedicated self of gluten free goods like so many other stores--I'm not "special." No, they understand and I heart them for it. I scooped up 2 packages of each. 

That night we tried the corn spaghetti it was a bit tricky--I won't lie. I couldn't tell when it was finished cooking! I did follow package directions like a good girl but being new to gluten free it was, well.......weird! What's with the cloudy water? Why was it so gooey looking (no I didn't over cook), I taste tested and okay it was good. However, 2 days later when I decided to have some leftover for lunch and reheated it..........BLAH! It was clumpy and a hardened mess. Not good. 

Then we (haha! "we" like anyone else in this house cooks!) substituted the brown rice penne for macaroni noodles in classic mac and cheese--it worked and reheated wonderfully! Yippee Skippee! Since then we have gone with only brown rice pasta and it hasn't disappointed  I cook the pasta about 8 minutes past the instructions on the package because if I follow those directions, it's too al dente for my taste. 

Here is the recipe for Seafood pasta (think seafood fettuccine that I'm so overjoyed about STILL being able to make and eat. 

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 package brown rice penne pasta (or any type you like)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 small yellow onion, minced
1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley or 1 tsp dried
1/2 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated plus 1/2 cup for garnish
1 pound mussels, not frozen
1 1/2 cup salmon or cod, cubed
1 pound black tiger shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/2 large lemon, zested
lemon wedges
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon cornstarch, if needed
1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced (optional)

Directions:

Cook the pasta until you think they're done. . .or package directions. :) Drain and set aside.

Saute the garlic and onions in small skillet, set aside.

In large pan/skillet melt the butter then add the heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling add in 1 cup of Parmesan cheese and mix. The cheese will aid in thickening the sauce as well as add that yummy flavor we all love.  Keep stirring on medium high heat until the bubbles become rather large (about 5 minutes). 



Turn down the heat to medium. Add the pasta and toss. Add salt and pepper, parsley and oregano.



Add the salmon/cod and mix. 


Add the mussels (make sure the mussels are closed. Place a lid onto the pan for 10 minutes (also if adding mushrooms) do so now. The mussels should be opening. If not, replace lid for another 5 minutes. Discard any that haven't opened, cause they're gondi (dead). Add the shrimp and toss. The shrimp will become opaque when they're cooked through. Squeeze 2 wedges of lemon and toss. Sprinkle the lemon zest and more Parmesan cheese over the pan or over the plate when serving, don't forget the lemon wedge. Enjoy cause it's yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment