Thursday, October 31, 2013

Basic Gluten Free Yellow Cornbread



Gosh I love my all-purpose brown rice flour blend. I made a huge pot of homemade black bean beef & jalapeno chicken sausage sweet potato chili  (check back for I'll post the recipe soon enough) and of course a pan of cornbread. Being that I've never made gluten free cornbread before I was alittle worried; just a tad, that it would be spongy. I was wrong. Moist and fluffy cornbread was to be had by all. It was pretty simple dimple. I followed the recipe on the back of my Albers Corn Meal box and substituted the all-purpose with the brown rice all purpose recipe I treasure from King Arthur flour. I did add some xantham gum to the batter and a drizzle of maple syrup and butter to the top but that's it! Next time I'll put in some chopped up jalapenos, green onions and perhaps some cheese. :) This gluten free thing isn't too hard, now is it?

Ingredients (adapted from Albers)

1 cup GF Yellow Corn Meal
1 cup all-purpose brown rice mix

1 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon butter (for top)

Optional: 
drizzle of maple syrup (for top)
1/3 cup jalapeno, seeded and diced 
1/2 cup cheese (cheddar or Pepper Jack), shredded 
1 stalk green onions, sliced thin

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400° degrees and grease 8-inch square baking pan.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together corn meal, gf all purpose mix, xantham gum, sugar, baking powder and salt.


 Add milk, oil and egg; mix well. 


Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 15 minutes than spread butter and drizzle maple syrup on top. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. 


No comments:

Post a Comment