Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pieeeeeeeeeee!




If you were a Just Shoot Me television show fan you'll understand why I titled this post as such. I published my Gluten Free Pie Crust recipe and thought I'd follow it up with my chicken pot pie filling recipe--I'm on a bit of a posting roll. But can I take a moment to admire the crust? Just look at it, it makes me happy. 

In the PNW the leaves are changing crimson reds and burnt orange with tinges of mellow yellow, yep, it's casserole, soups and pot pie season for sure. I remember being little and anticipating chicken pot pie night, oh not the homemade kind but those tiny little banquet frozen ones. Remember those? For a kid of less then 7 those were awesome and reminds me of cold school days and warm wood burning fires. I've grown up and so has my taste buds, without further adieu here is my recipe (yes friends it's gluten free).


Ingredients:
3 cups chicken or turkey, cooked and cubed or shredded (I used prepackaged rotisserie)
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large Yukon yellow potato, chopped
1 large red potato, chopped
2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
2 1/2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillion cubes.
1/2 cup of milk or half and half
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
Cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
1 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon of thyme


Directions:

In large skillet heat up the butter or oil on medium high and sweat the the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, potatoes. Add the rosemary and parsley. Cook for about 10 minutes. 



While the veggies are cooking, tear up or cube up your cooked chicken. 


I stumbled upon this new find at Costco and plan on buying these for quick dishes. I love their rotisserie chicken and this is convenient to have handy in the fridge. For this recipe I used 4 thigh portions and 2 drumsticks (de-skinned).


Add in the chicken, broth and milk or half and half. Stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Let simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. Do a little taste test and add additional salt and/or pepper.


Prepare your pie crust and ladle the filling until it reaches almost the top of pie pan. 



Add your other crust layer, crimp, using your fork or paring knife, poke 3 to 4 holes into the top crust. Plop into the preheated oven at 375 for 30 minutes or until the crusts are deeply golden brown. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment