Sunday, October 27, 2013

My review of Dinner Rolls/Muffins recipe.


I'm trying out different roll recipes I find on the web and thought I'd share with you my findings starting with this recipe from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures Blog. Her blog is great, she has a variety of recipes and I encourage everyone to take a peek at it. I first saw this on Pinterest and the description of "Light and Fluffy" rolls prompted me to give these a try. The ingredients seemed to be the usual suspects of flours and starches (rice, tapioca and potato) which I have well stocked in the pantry. I followed her recipes with the batch initially to the letter then deviated with the last half with the addition of mozzarella cheese--I had to see what the cheese would do.  All in all the recipe is easy, you just have to have a bit of patience to let it rise the prerequisite 4 times. They did indeed fluff up but "light" is not what I would call these little handfuls. They are fluffy and spongy and not at all crumbly. They would be great for slopping up soups or stews with and are good with a pat of butter or jam and are better then some of the crumbly messes I've tried in the past. I'm going  to adapt them a bit next time in hopes of getting that far too elusive "light" roll/muffin. I think a combination of the crumbly recipes and this one might just hit the Holiday table. One can only hope!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons xanthan gum
1 1/4 cups white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch


Note: Please she her blog for directions. This is a brief summary.


My type of cooking--one bowl recipe. The less gooey dishes to wash the better!


After mixing it all up, just scrape the sides making a mound.


Okay this is the 1st rise after 30 minutes. Looks promising.


Lightly fold the dough into itself and scrape down again. Repeat the process 3 more times.


This was the 4th rise. Liking the air pockets.

I scooped 1/2 of the dough into my prepared muffin pan and added the mozzarella to the remainder.

This recipe made enough for 12 normal size muffins. 


Didn't they fluff up nicely? The 6 in the back are the ones with the cheese, hence the toasty parts. 


These would be good with pasta as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment