Friday, June 29, 2012

5 Alarm Hummus. . .Don't do what I just did.





I just devoured 1/2 the bowl by myself and still have dinner and lemon bars waiting. Whoops! O.O . . .I've been snacking on hummus for the past hour and my lips are tingling. This batch was spicy but awesome stuff. Hummus is one of those things I used to buy but started making myself because in addition to being able to be creative and use things I have on hand, I can make 3 times as much for the same price! 




I was out of tahini (sesame paste) so I substituted by using 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil--worked just as well! I love how quick and easy it is to make. Once you start making your own hummus and playing around with flavors you'll probably never buy the store bought ones again. Here's my 5 Alarm recipe.  


Ingredients (makes 3 1/4 cups for approx. $2.40)


2 cans garbanzo beans (15 oz each), drained
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini (or 2 tablespoons peanut butter & 1 teaspoons sesame oil)
1/2 cup red/green/yellow pepper strips (I used frozen)
4 -5 cloves garlic
1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove the seeds first if you don't want your lips to tingle)
1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
dash of  parsley, fresh or dried
1/2 teaspooon salt
dash of oregano


Directions
Place all ingredients into a food processor (my processor makes my cooking forays so much easier!). If you don't have a processor mince up the ingredients and use a upright mixer. Set your processor to it's highest setting and pulse. Pulse until the mixture becomes creamy. About 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired texture (Mine took about 7 minutes because I rushed it and didn't chop my jalapeno first. Oooops!)


Do a quick taste test and add more olive oil or seasonings if needed.




Transfer into airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Great with pita chips, Nan & veggie sticks. Wasn't that easy? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment