Saturday, June 30, 2012

A twist on lemon bars

Since Mighty Moe can't have anything with caffeine (much to my chocoholic and coffee dismay) I often make blondies, pies and lemon bars for him. I was in a bar mood yesterday and totally torn between making caramel blondies or lemon bars, decisions, decisions! My pantry made the choice for me--out of dark brown sugar. Lemon bars it was. Whenever I take these anywhere they disappear like Santa on xmas eve. 


Most recipes create rather thin bars and I enjoy a nice buttery almond crust and lots of delicious lemony filling. Here is my simple twist on the classic Land of Lakes recipe. 

Ingredients(Makes 16 large bars or 24 smaller ones)

Crust
1 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Filling
2 1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel (optional)
6 eggs

Topping
Powdered sugar to preference. I end up using about 1/2 a cup. 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all crust ingredients into medium sized mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed mixed well. Dough should be nice and crumbly. Press into lightly greased  13" by 9" by 2" baking dish.
Bake for approx. 16-17 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.


Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing all filling ingredients in same medium sized mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Pour filling over  the partially baked crust. Place dish back into the oven and continue baking for and additional 17 to 20 minutes or until the top is light golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cool completely. Cut into bars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment