Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ann Curry leaving . . . .talk about a WTF moment?!!!!

Now I feel the need to talk about the disrespectful cold hearted dismissal of Ann Curry. You could almost feel the energy of hundreds of thousands of loyal show viewers across America uttering "What the f**k?!!. . .what f**kery is this?" as they watched Ann's heart break. We grew up with Ann, we watched her florish and mature, she's like family. Who are these bastards that did this? If you didn't see her goodbye today, check it out. Only a few minutes long and it literally made me weepy.




I've been a loyal viewer of The Today Show for over 20 years. Even when I worked at my corporate jobs and only got to catch less then an hour of it each day. It was my morning coffee buddy and background noise when I was getting ready to do my 8 to 5. I loved the show. I didn't agree with all of their segment choices or biased political stance, but I remained loyal. When I woke up at 5:30 and heard on our local news Ann Curry would be announcing her departure from The Today Show, I was sure they meant it was a rumor. When I tuned in and she conducted herself throughout most of the morning with her normal grace and professionalism I was indeed reassured it was only a rumor. Imagine my complete disappointment when she started in with her teary goodbye.. . okay girlfriend broke doooooown!. . .I was floored. It took me a bit to finish sniffling before I went onto the show's FB page and left not 1 or 2 but 3 comments my friends. Their page was blowing up with thousands of others posting their thoughts in support for Ann. Where the hell was Ann's "Over the Years" montage that the show bestowed on all the other departing hosts?!!!!!!! Double travesty. I'm sure NBC will not fully comprehend the the backlash of this decision until they analyse their next few qtrly. reports. Guess they didn't take notes and learn from the Deborah Norville or Conan O'Brian fiasco's. 


I'm not the type of person who just writes in to shows/programs/companies. Seriously I'm not. I wrote a "best wishes, I love you" type of message to Oprah on her last day (come on she's Oprah!). I've written warm fuzzy emails to Ellen "The Generous" Degeneres (because she's got to be one of the kindest, gentlest souls on earth. Also a not so warm and definitely fuzzless letter to the company with the "Have a Happy Period" campaign. . .Ohhhhh yaaaaaa you you know the one!! Boy did I tear into those twits--Paying all that money to try to convince us ladies that buying their product would result in "happy periods". . .as if happy periods exist or can be purchased. . .morons.  


Okay back to Ann, I left my comments on The Today Show FB page in short telling them their decision was stupid. Their ratings aren't dipping because of Ann Curry. Perhaps their actual lack of "news" coverage and their poorly produced 3-5 minute cooking/traveling/gossip/beauty segments have more to do with it. Those segments are so rushed through it's only entertainment value is in its hilarity. People talking over people and rushing  through steps or products with the speed of Flo Jo without the agility, but it does crack me up. I regaled Ann's professionalism, her ability to be not only compassionate but her brave "in the trenches" journalistic style whose in-depth reports touches hearts and have certainly opened my eyes on worldwide topics. I suggested those marketing geniuses do a poll as to what's in their format that is and isn't working with the public. I pointed out with their URL and FB this is relevant information and is freeeeeeeee!!! Perhaps they should have completed this simple little task before blaming it on Ann. 


Lastly, I wrote I don't feel Savannah G. is Co-host material. Savannah makes me physically wince in embarrassment for her during her awkward social interactions to the point where it became my cue; when I saw her on screen; to refill my cup of joe.  During frivolous "filler" segments it seems Savannah has the need to stick her foot in her mouth when in the presence of a celebrity-- truly awkward and a sign of her inability to co-host effectively at this point in her career. Let's face it she's not really a journalist. However, to her credit she shines during legal related segments. I have always liked Matt Lauer, but if he did indeed push for this debacle to happen the only word I have for him is "Jerk". . .Chris Brown may have thrown a chair at a window at 30 Rock but this would mean he (Matt) threw Ann under the bus. Maybe those two have more in common then he thought. 


Ann Curry Photo via: http://www.facebook.com/anncurry


I did some googling and came across an article stating that when Ann was told of her impending dismissal she was so upset she was going to leave the network. The mucky mucks did some negotiating and countered with the multi-mil contract and she accepted it. Like all corporate type of contracts I'm sure there is a clause that prohibits her to sue the shitty pants off them. Although even without the contract I don't think Ann is the type of person who would sue. One thing I know for sure is that she is the type of women will continue to foster her journalistic excellence. 


Wondering if NBC will add June 28, 2012 to their timeline as the day they f**ked up. . .again! I may need to join the ranks of loyal viewers who will no longer watch The Today Show--which makes me a bit sad. I hate finding new coffee buddies. 


This day sucks so far. :(  I hope you join me in "liking" this fb page: http://www.facebook.com/BoycottNBCToday  PS. You can also call NBC and voice your opinion! 212.664.4602

No comments:

Post a Comment