Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm back! What I've been up to and why.

Hello everyone! I hope you've enjoyed Spring as much as I. There's nothing like welcoming back old garden friends and getting your hands dirty. I had sooooo many weeds and pruning to do this year it was quite ridiculous. 

Here's a quick recap of what I've been up to these past few months. My mother had her double mastectomy and is going into reconstructive surgery on July 25th. No chemotherapy needed so far. My mother's illness affected me more then even I thought and I've been in a bit of a funk. I now realize I was sitting on the pinnacle of impending doom holding my breath. Just in the past few weeks I've begun breathing in the fresh air again. Whooooooooooooosh! 

Mighty Mouse built me some awesome raised garden beds for about $12 each which made all the hard garden work really worth it. I planted Brandywine, Purple Cherokee and Mortgage Lifter heirloom tomatoes. Brussel sprouts, snow and pole peas, corn, basil, cilantro, hot and bell peppers, kale, broccoli and some butternut squashes. The garden stores have been packed each time I've ventured in. I'm not sure if it's the Organics craze or the economy that is inspiring everyone to grow veggies but I'm happy to see people getting back to some fundamental basics and taking time out from our high tech society.

I have quite a few photos I need to post of my gardening escape but also about 30 more recipes to write out and post photos of. I did indeed do research on blogging and have discovered to my delight that new blogs average around 15 visitors per month. Mine averages about 200 per month since I started late last January. Although I have yet to have a bonafide "member" I do see that I get quite a few visitors. I'm doing something right! :D Now to figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

I've also been tapping back into my creative bits. I have a few ideas that I'm seriously thinking about. One in particular which I've been dreaming about for months and am going to pursue is the creation of a fashion accessory product. You're thinking "oh another accessory. . ." but hold up friends this is something that is fun, functional and will give a bit of flair to your wardrobe and not break the bank. Hopefully I can get a few prototypes made soon and make some connections. My dream would be to take it to market on QVC, but they require a large quantity on hand. If you know of a manufacturer of fabric fashion accessories please contact me. I'd really prefer it to be manufactured in America. The biggest hurdle is funding it. I may create a campaign for myself on Indiegogo. In the future you can follow the progress of this venture on a dedicated page I'm making: "Recipes for a Start-up Business" with the case study on "The Bootie Band." As in "bootie" for your feet not your behind "booty." For those who are thinking about starting a product based product, you may find some information helpful or share some of yours. 

Another is an idea which arose from watching that horrible video of the  Karen the Bus Monitor being bullied. I -- like so many am upset about it. I'm thrilled that she is received so many donations via contributors on Indiegogo.com for her vacation. If you have a dream and haven't been on Indiegogo.com STOP reading this blog and go there now! The site was created by Saints and is visited by Angels here on earth. . .I sound crazy? Go check it out you big dreamer! I'm all about sharing information and if it wasn't for poor Karen getting so much press I wouldn't know about that gem of a site. Okay I digress, back to Karen . . .that story combined with a kaleidoscopic of newstories about bullies and teen suicides made me think about the deterioration of basic proper behavior in our world and its' impact. I'm thinking about writing a series of books targeted at 3 to 14 year olds about kindness. It would be a type of workbook for them and their parents. I don't know if I'll do it or not but it's one of those thoughts that continue to come back to me. Although I'm Graphic Designer I'm in no way a Illustrator but I do enjoy writing. It should have been me to write 50 Shades of Gray! 

Okay, I'm done rambling for now. I have a ton of photos and recipes to color correct and post. I think I've earned .2 now with this blog but you know it's a labor of love! Big cosmic hug you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment