Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What to do with those Costco sized jars of tomatoes? Make sun-dried tomato & herb rolls.

The never ending supply of sun-dried tomatoes!


I always seem to have a huge Costco sized jar of sun-dried tomatoes in my fridge. I add them to egg salad, deviled eggs, pizza, pasta, salads, sauces but yet I never seem to run out of them. Since I planned on whipping up some pasta for dinner I decided to play around with my basic roll recipe. These turned out lovely. Of course I had to eat one as soon as they came out of the oven, a good cook tastes her/his food before serving right?! Eaten alone with a nice pat of butter was quite satisfying. I served them with my Shrimp Pancetta Carbonara. I have to admit the rolls aren't as good of a pairing as a nice loaf of French bread would have been. The lemony zest of the pasta speaks for itself. These rolls would be better served with a nice soup or used for mini turkey sandwiches or accompanied by brie or other type of creamy cheese. But yes they were good and I'm happy with the outcome.


Ingredients:
3 cup flour (I used 2 cups wheat and 1 cup AP flour)
1 cup warm water, 110 degrees
1 1/2 teaspoon fast active yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, separated (the yolk for the dough and the whites for brushing)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried onions
1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
1 teaspoon basil, dried (you could substitute with rosemary if you plan on serving these with poultry or pork)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
Optional: 1/2 cup diced or sliced olives.

Directions:

In large mixing bowl combine warm water with yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Swish it around and let "proof" for about 15 minutes or until you see a bubbly type of foam forming. This just means your yeast is active. Add the yolk, onions, parsley, pepper, basil and mix well. 

Add 2 cups of the flour and mix, then add the remaining flour and knead for about 8 minutes. 

Using your hands divide the dough into 12 even sized balls. Place on top of a oiled baking tray. Cover and keep in a warm place for about 2 - 3 hours. When dough has risen it's time to bake. Brush the rolls with egg white and place into preheated oven. Before baking, brush the top of the rolls with egg whites. Figure 1. 


Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment