Saturday, June 30, 2012

Starting with Spireas

I love taking photos in the morning. The birds are signing at the top of their little lungs, everything is covered in a gentle soft light--perfect for photos. Here is a shot of our teahouse that Mighty Mouse built me when we first moved in 11 years ago. I jotted down a quick design and he built it himself, he cracked 3 ribs doing it but he did it. Stubborn man! 11 years later it's not yet completed, the 1/3 walls aren't up nor are the screens installed. He's a busy man and I don't have the heart to nag him about completing this on his rare free weekends. 


(Allium 'Globemaster', white peonies, 'New Dawn' white rose, lupins and David Austin rose 'Charles Rennie Mackintosh' pink English in the foreground of this photo.)


Ahhh, now that most of my heavy duty gardening chores are completed and routine maintenance is only required, I can start enjoying my garden and start blogging about it with you all. Let's start with Spireas. Spireas are awesome deciduous shrubs. The variety I have is called Neon Flash and I think it's beautiful. Look at those neon magenta flowers! Yellow, red and white flowering and variegated varieties are also available at most nurseries.



Spirea has gotta be one of the easiest bushes to grow, certainly one of the easiest I've encountered. They grow well in all well-drained soils and aren't too fussy about requirements --full sun, part shade are fine. I planted this about 8 years ago in a mostly sunny location in the backyard. This bush gets about 3' tall and about as wide, I trim mine to maintain a smaller girth. The flower clusters are great for cutting and adding to arrangements. The bush is covered in flowers in a spectacular display for over a month (mid June to mid July in my zone 7-8 garden) and if deadheaded will have a second round of blooms but not as abundant. The foliage is a nice blueish green, delicate lacy serrated edges for lack of a better description right now. I haven't noticed any insect problems and they're disease resistant, if scented and evergreen they would be the perfect shrub in my eyes.





I've been researching propagation (which seems relatively easy to do) over the past few months and will add this to my list of growing candidates. I would love to have 8 more of these gems gracing my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment