Sunday, March 4, 2012

Another family "secret" recipe . . .lol! I have to share.


I'm pretty sure every family has their own "family secret marinade" and I believe this is especially true of Asian families. I adapted this recipe from my step-father Nick's; who is an incredible cook; by simply adding the orange juice but raspberry jam works well too. You'll notice I normally use chicken thighs in most of my chicken recipes requiring a marinade, I do this because they're more flavorful. If you use breasts please note the additional cooking instruction. This Asian Orange Ginger Chicken recipe is one that I'll often "double up" on and stick 1/2 in a Ziplock Gallon bag and put in the freezer for lazy days. Once again I'm without my grill and baked this in the oven on broil at 330 degrees. Still delicious. . .but if you can grill these please do!


Ingredients:
9 -12 chicken thighs or a mixture of chicken parts
1 tablespoon dried onion
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I use the Yoshida brand)
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon hot chili sauce
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (or raspberry jam)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions:
In a large bowl or Ziplock bag, add the chicken and all the ingredients. Mix well, cover and let marinade for at least 2 hours or over night in the fridge.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees on Broil. Arrange chicken; skin side down, onto large cookie tray and place into oven on the bottom rack. Keep the oven door slightly open while it's cooking. After 20 minutes or when the top of the chicken is a nice golden brown, flip the chicken skin side up and place back into oven. Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy with your favorite roasted vegetables and/or rice.


Note: If you are using larger then thigh size pieces of chicken, you'll want to place the chicken into a microwave safe bowl, cover with saran wrap and microwave for about 6 minutes. This will ensure the middle of the chicken completely cooks while in the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment