Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fish and chips worth traveling to.


There's a terrific seafood restaurant in La Conner Washington that serves the best fish and chips I've had in a very long time. My sister and I would go there once a month for this (and we did for awhile) if we didn't live 1 1/2 hours away! Most battered cod or halibut are far too doughy and greasy for my taste. This restaurant's version was very lightly coated and full of flavor, not to mention the pieces were very thick and not processed mushed up fish pieces. I've recreated it as well as I can but there's just a certain flavor missing and now that I really think about it, it could be the type of oil they use in their fryer. I use Canola oil but perhaps to get that delicious light nutty taste I should be using peanut or sunflower oil. Here is my recipe which I've perfected over the past year. I hope you enjoy this light and crispy Honey Beer Battered Fish recipe. 

Ingredients (serves 3 people):
9 pieces of Cod or Halibut (pieces should be at least 2 1/2" wide x 3" long x 1/2" strips)
3/4 cup of amber/pale beer
3/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh dill 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg
1 lemon cut into wedges
Tarter Sauce
Oil for frying

Directions:
  1. Wash and pat dry the fish (if using frozen cod, defrost and gently squeeze out excess water). Cut into strips. 
  2. In a medium sized mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix in the beer and egg. Add the fish pieces and coat each one with the batter.
  3. Heat oil in frying pot or pan to 375 degrees. Fry each piece until golden brown and drain the excess oil by placing the fried pieces into a metal drain basket. Serve with salad or fries and your favorite Tarter or Aioli sauce and lemon wedge. Or serve on toasted buns with lettuce and tomato - easy fish filet sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment