Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cherries and Chicken. . .challenge accepted!



Last night I asked my guy what kind of chicken I should make for dinner. He smiled and said "cherries!" He was totally joking but the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. The challenge was on. My first inclination was to incorporate the cherries into a balsamic marinade but I knew I wanted rice as a side (I'll work on that recipe some other night).  I finally decided to use one of my favorite family marinades and tweek it just a smidge to work the cherries in. After all is said and done, this dish is a keeper and pretty too. The cherries added a slightly tart taste to the spicy sweetness of the marinade. The guys were surprised how well it turned out. ;)




Ingredients:
6 boneless chicken thighs or 3 chicken breasts cut in half or strips 
1 tablespoon dried onion
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I use the Yoshida brand)
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tablespoon ginger, minced or paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon hot chili sauce
1 cup cherries, drained, but reserve juice. (I used the Trader Joe's brand Cherries in light syrup)
1/3 cup cherry syrup/juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions:
In a large bowl add all ingredients except the chicken and olive oil. Mix well and set aside. 


Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Add the chicken and a lightly season with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on both sides. About 8 minutes per side. 


Add the wet mixture from bowl and stir to coat. See figure 1. Cook for about 3 minutes. Once the glaze thickens, turn down heat to medium low and cover with lid. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is done. 




Serve with rice, crusty bread, cut up in a spinach salad or with your favorite side dishes.








No comments:

Post a Comment